Friday, May 11, 2012

How to work from home without going crazy

It's been a very weird time in the Duct Tape household.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, my company closed its local office.  So through the month of May, until school lets out, I'm working from my home office, and come June I'll actually relocate.

I've been able to work from home plenty in the past, but this is the first time I've had no local office to work from if I felt the need.  If you've ever been in that position you know it's a weird feeling, and it's not as pleasant as you might think.

The biggest problem is that you can go for days without leaving the house.  Yesterday this was ideal; I had just returned from a four-day convention and was dog-tired.  In fact, at about 2 PM I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I went into my own bedroom and took a nap.  It was amazing.  Can't do that if you work in a cubicle.

Another nice thing: I didn't skimp on my home office.  I didn't let boxes sit unpacked and papers pile up when I set it up.  I made sure it had a nice ambience, supplemented by two dogs who love to wrassle on the floor while I work.  Again, not really a cubicle lifestyle.

One more nice thing.  You'd think it would be particularly hard to work at home while my husband is doing the same, but it really hasn't been a problem.  Not like my friend Claire; her husband has an office right by the front door, and she can't leave the house without him asking where she's going, could she pick up some Diet Coke on the way home, when will she be back, yadda yadda yadda.  In fact, my husband loves to be left alone while he works, and he does the same for me.

On the other hand, every single morning I get up intending to exercise.  I have yet to do so...and trust me, I can feel it.  My back is starting to hurt and I've stopped losing weight.  It would be so easy...I could throw on some shoes, take one of the dogs for a walk, but it just never seems to happen.  If I weren't leaving in three weeks, I'd sign up for an afternoon yoga class or something just to force myself out of the house.

So there you go.  Ups and downs.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, or some such.

No comments:

Post a Comment