Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What a week.

If you don't like reading rants, give this entry a pass.  I'm going to waste your time by ranting about what a lousy week this has been.

It started two weeks ago, when I was still in Toronto on the first leg of my Business Trip From Hell (tm).  My boss asked me if I could do a teleconference with a team in Malaysia the week I got back from Indonesia.  This doesn't sound like a big deal, but what that means for our team is a week-long class, four hours each day, and the Malaysia team wants it on their schedule, which means I start class at 8 PM and finish at midnight.  The upside to classes like this is, I can do it from home, and I don't have to go into the office at all this week because my boss is a nice, normal person.

The downside is I had to cancel my evening plans for this week, which includes the most awesome thing the Jewish religion ever invented, the Chocolate Seder.  I'm just gonna leave that one up to your imagination, but suffice it to say, it's this week and I'm gonna miss it, which makes me sad.

The other downside is I'm really not at the top of my game late at night.  In the morning, I can field the toughest technical questions, but at 11 PM, despite massive drinkings of caffeinated stuff, I am a blithering idiot.  So I'm not even doing that great a job.

So here's the way my schedule's been:

Three weekends of travel: first to Toronto, then a weekend spent in the air between Toronto and Jakarta, then a weekend spent in the air coming home.  I haven't actually had a Saturday or Sunday in the month of April, and I've missed three soccer games and Peaches is pissed at me.  Then I didn't drink enough Airborne or something, because I managed to come down with a cold in the middle of it.

Before I came home, I promised my husband that he was Officially Off Duty for a couple of days since he'd been a single dad all that time.  So yesterday he retreated into his office and shut the door to study for a big exam he has coming up, very stressful stuff.  I went into my office, closed the door and started my class.

At 9 PM, Peaches very quietly knocked on my office door.  I paused my class and opened it.  There she stood, nice as can be, and asked me: "Can I have dinner?"

That's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a schedule! Sure hope you get a little normalcy back soon, for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, too! One more day of insanity, then back to our regularly scheduled life.

    ReplyDelete