Thursday, April 7, 2011

Circling the Globe

The next two weeks I may or may not be posting much, since I'll be out of town on business, or more precisely, out of the country.

I've been pretty lucky this year. On average, about once a month or so I have to go somewhere, but I haven't had to take any business trips since my short trip to London in January, which I mentioned here.  Next week I'm going to be leaving for two weeks.  I'm really torn about this trip.  I mean, not that I have a right to be torn, it's a business trip.  I go where the client needs me to go, and I don't really have any say in the matter.  But this trip is going to be long, grueling, and really no fun at all.  On the other hand, I get to do something I've never done before: I get to circle the globe.

My first stop will be a couple of thousand miles due north to Toronto, Canada.  I'm thrilled to go there, I have a couple of cousins my own age that who live there.  The other reason I like Toronto is that it's a really cool city and the people are fantastic.  Plus, I don't sound like a durn furner every time I open my mouth.

I'll be in Toronto for a week, and then I head to Jakarta, Indonesia.

Yeah, I know.  But let's get something straight.  First of all, Jakarta.  Not Bali, not Singapore, not some cool resort on some isolated island.  Jakarta, where it takes fifteen minutes to take a cab ten city blocks because the traffic is so bad.  Jakarta is not a fun tourist destination.  There is nothing to see there, and even if there were, I wouldn't have time to see it.  I will know nobody. I'll fly 23 hours from Toronto with a stopover in Qatar, work for 16 hours a day from Monday through Saturday, and catch the first flight out Sunday morning, stopping over in Hong Kong and then again in Los Angeles before finally coming home to my little midwestern paradise late Monday afternoon.

And for some reason, everyone who has heard about my itinerary is jealous of me.  Jealous.

So let's get this straight.  I'll be spending two entire weekends on an airplane.  I will miss three weekends at home, my kid's last three soccer games of the season, a birthday party, and a really cool charity event that I had promised my friend I would be at.  All my calls home (thank you, Skype) will be peppered with complaints from my memory-impaired husband about how hard it is to be a single parent and whines from Peaches about how mean Daddy is while I'm gone.  And when I get back, the house is going to look like....ummm...the house is going to be a mess.

It's times like this that I understand that I really, truly don't have my life under control.

So how do I handle it?  Well, I'll take lots of pictures, even if they're only of angry cab drivers and the inside of my client's office building.  I'll try to spend time experiencing a new city instead of spending my evenings in the hotel eating dry hamburgers and answering email.  And I'll remind myself that one day, the chewed up carpet will be long gone, but I'll still be able to say that once, I circled the globe.

2 comments:

  1. How are you going to work 16 hours a day? Jet lags are horrible. They turn me into a zombie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I will be a zombie. I know how to handle jet lag from the US to Europe, but I have no idea how I'll handle going to the Far East.

    Hopefully 16 hours a day will be the maximum. It usually ends up being 9-10 hours at the client site, then back to my hotel for another 5 or 6 hours of my regular job. My life is so glamorous.

    ReplyDelete