Saturday, March 12, 2011

What I'm doing here

This one will be brief, I promise.

I started this blog because at one time, I loved to write.  I thought perhaps one day I would be a writer.  Ever since I was a little kid, I had wonderful ideas for stories that I was sure would be bestsellers.

Back then, I wrote all the time.  I'd fill notebooks with short stories, ideas, and anything else that came to my mind.  There was no doubt that I would be a good writer; after all, everyone told me I would.

But then, as an adult, I simply stopped.  Not for any reason, really; I stopped for the same reason that the football star puts down his ball one day and spends the rest of his life getting fat in his chair, or that the lead trumpet player lets her instrument gather dust in the attic.  People just stop doing things.

And for the same reason that I looked in the mirror last year and admitted that I was no longer anything remotely close to slender, I had to admit that I had forgotten how to write.  That like any other skill, it must be nurtured, or it will wither.  My writing had withered.

So this is why I'm here: to write again.  I don't know what I'll write, and I don't care, as long as I write something every day.  Maybe, with time, my abilities will begin to bloom again.

1 comment:

  1. Withered? Hardly! You write very well! More, more!

    ReplyDelete