Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Favorite Things

1. My dog, Enzo.
2. Chocolate.
3. Sitting in the hot tub.
4. Reading.
5. Playing Angry Birds.

Further down the list are:

16. My job. 
18. My eleven year old daughter, who hates me.
22. My husband, who tolerates me, but just barely.
112. My car.

It's not really as sad as it sounds.  I really do like my job.  I get to do a lot of cool stuff, including travel all over the world and meet a lot of people who are a lot smarter than me.  Plus I've been doing it so long that it's pretty easy.

Enzo is named after Enzo Ferrari, but it's also the name of the dog/narrator of a book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (see: Reading).  If you're not a reader, they're making it into a movie pretty soon.  But you are a reader, or you wouldn't be here.  So read the book, because there's no way the movie will be as good.  For one thing, the main human character is going to be played by Patrick Dempsey.  Really?  McDreamy is going to play a race car driver? 

My Enzo has a lot in common with the Enzo in the book.  He's funny looking, of indeterminable breed, and much smarter than everyone else in my family. 

I spend my days trying to scrape some sort of quality of life while dealing with a freakish family.  It's not entirely their fault; I am, frankly, a terrible parent.  In fact, let me make this clear up front: if I ever open up this blog for comments, I will not entertain any parenting criticism or advice.  Any attempts to tell me how I can parent more effectively will be met with an open offer for my daughter to come live with you for a week.  Trust me when I say that there will be lots of things that I'm leaving out.  You can discover those for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment